Using Steam Big Picture Mode on Ubuntu 15.10, with a PS3 Sixaxis controller over Bluetooth, was proving difficult. Every time I would restart BPM, it would lose all of my controller mappings. The normal solution of using xboxdrv didn’t work, since this was via Bluetooth and not wired.
I configured the controller as normal via BPM (the default A and B buttons for me were left-stick-click and right-stick-click respectively), then closed Steam.
When running the AD Best Practices on Server 2008, you may receive the following error: > The AD DS BPA should be able to collect data about Group Policy Results setting “Access this computer from the network” from the domain controller Check the XML log file for a more detailed error message. It can be found by default in ‘Logs\BPA\Reports\Microsoft\Windows\DirectoryServices’ in your %systemroot% as ‘DirectoryServices_EngineReport.xml’. Look for a section called .
When using the Active Directory Migration Toolkit, you may receive an error that a user cannot be moved while they have child leaf objects. This is usually due to the user tying a device to their Exchange account via ActiveSync.
To solve this, make sure you have the Support Tools for Windows Server installed. Open up ADSI Edit (adsiedit.msc), and browse out to the user object.
ADSI Edit Under the user container will be another container, ExchangeActiveSyncDevices.
I’ve had a fairly bad oil leak since I got the Subaru running. Turns out that the valve cover gaskets are a fairly common item to go out on this model, so I decided to replace them. As long as I had everything apart (the drivers side in particular isn’t easy to get to), I also decided to do plugs, wires, the fuel filter, and the inline ATF filter.
Here is the passenger side valve cover.
(most of this is copied/pasted from my post in the LegacyGT Forums back in September last year)
This past week, I did the $50 Rustoleum Paint Job. I’m not going to cover everything in detail, since a lot of the guides already do an excellent job.
I went from this Original Paint Job To this Rustoleum Paint Job I mostly followed DrSimon’s guide from Instructables.
Logon Error While rolling out a new logon script, I started getting reports of an error message like this one showing up. Error 0x80005000 with a source of (null) isn’t particularly helpful. The particular section of code referenced in the error dealt with pulling a user’s group membership from LDAP, and mapping drives accordingly.
After stepping through the script, I found that it was bombing out on a group with a forward slash (/) in the name.
It’s a common theme you read on many sysadmin forums - ‘RAID is not backup!’ I have always agreed with that statement, but it didn’t hit home until recently.
A little over a month ago, I was on site in Kentucky to switch some T1 lines around. When I got there, I noticed one of the drives on their server had failed. I requested a replacement drive from the corporate office.
Out of blank CDs? Is your burner giving you nothing but coasters?
With UNetbootin, you can download almost any of the common Linux distros or various utilities such as NTPasswd or SystemRescueCD, all from within one small program, and create a bootable USB flash drive. It also works with any GRUB or isolinux based CD image.
Not only does it automatically download the distro of your choice, but it also provides version history, and builds for x86 or x64.
Automatic updates suck. While it is important to keep your OS and installed software up to date, everyone wants to do it ‘their way’, which usually ends up being annoying, pointless, and time consuming. I’ll start off with a couple pet peeves of mine, and then list some examples of how they could be better handled.
First on the list - Adobe. Reader updates are annoying enough, but at least they install rather quickly.
You’ve consolidated 2 servers down to 1 after hours. Great. Then you recreate all the file shares on the new server, and test mapping them using the new name. They work great.
Then in a sudden flash of brilliance, you update DNS and WINS to point the old server name at the new server, so that any scripts that still reference the old name won’t break. And that’s when you start getting this error on your clients: